Monday, October 4, 2010

Is truth something women REALLY want?

*sigh*

Before I answer this question, let me state for the record that this is my opinion based on my experiences. When I say "women" I am not talking about ALL women. If you don't fall into this category, then I'm not talking about you. I am however, talking about A LOT of women. Enough so that this is a fairly common thing.

The short answer is yes. And no. Confusing huh? Let me explain. We don't want to be lied to, but we don't always want the truth. For example: "Does this make me look fat?" The obvious answer here is "No." I hate to say it, but any other answer is just not going to work. Now, let's say that said outfit DOES make her look fat. You're NOT supposed to say that. It's messed up, but for the most part it's true. The ideal way to deal with this situation is to first say NO. Understand this... "No." is the correct answer. While it may not necessarily be the truth, hearing it IS NOT something that is going to go over well with the average woman. Only after you've said no will any other comments be heard and accepted.

Not fair right? You should be able to be honest with someone when they ask you a question right? This is true, but I've found that for as much as people say they want to hear the truth, they're not actually prepared for it. A lot of times when women ask a question, they expect a certain answer and when the answer they're given doesn't jibe with the answer they're looking for, you get a negative reaction. Also, you have to decide what you're ultimate goal is. If you're goal is to make it so she accepts the truth no matter how harsh it is, then by all means, jump right in with both feet and let her know how you feel in plain simple english. After the 2 hour conversation you have about it, she'll probably realize that you are trying to help her and that you still care about her. That is until the next time it happens.

If your goal is to immediately resolve the "looking fat" issue then you need to handle it a little less directly. You'll get your point across that she doesn't look her best and you'll probably avoid the drama, but you'll also realize you can't be 100% honest with her about certain things, even if they're in her best interest. I wish I could say there was some middle ground on this, but like they say "go hard or go home."

A couple of other examples include questions like "Is she prettier than me?" "Am I the best you've ever had?" Now, in 2010 I don't really know of any women who actually ask these questions specifically, but you'll probably find yourself facing questions geared towards these things. If you can pick them out before you blindly answer you'll be one step closer to understanding women (not really, but it'll feel like it...lol)

For myself, as a rule, I don't ask questions I'm not ready to hear the answers for. The BF can attest to that. I know without a doubt that he's going to be candidly honest so I know not to ask questions that might yield answers I'm not prepared to deal with. Now, this ends up leaving me wondering a lot of things, but I don't think it's fair to punish someone because they give you an honest answer to a question YOU'VE ASKED. And honesty IS the best policy right? Ideally yes. But no.

- to be continued

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Remi- almmost called you Aprilgem- When a woman asks me a question that she doesn't want answered truthfully, she is disrespecting my time. Insert LOL here... Chances are she's waited until a critical moment in the program I'm trying to follow, or I'm just entering the REM portion of sleep... This is why I flip the "do I look fat in this dress" question with- "were you fat when you bought the dress?" or- "did you buy the dress at a plus size store?" In short, as long as women get to be coy or secretive about their age or weight, they shouldn't ask men to comment on such matters unless they can handle the truth...

    Will pay more attention in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right about that, but like I said, it happens. I'm thinking if more men just told the truth instead of being afraid to speak up, things might be a little different. Women can ask their girlfriends the same question, actually get an honest answer ("yes, you DO look fat, or some version of that) and keep it moving without the slightest attitude toward said friend. Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails