Friday, September 17, 2010

I'm the king of the wooorld...

or a small nation until I build up my army and kick some ass. The long awaited Civilization V is due out in 4 days and I'm a little bit excited. Back in the days the BF introduced me to this awesome strategy game and I've been hooked ever since. There's nothing like researching new technologies, building Wonders and just generally menacing your nearest foreign neighbors.

I've learned so much from Civilization. I think I still may have been clueless on what a phalanx was if I'd never played it. I can remember pouring hours of myself into a game and not wanting to walk away until it was done. Just one more turn, I'd tell myself. An hour later I'd still be sitting there. It's honestly one of my favorite games of all time. Seriously. Thanks Huey! I remember him trying to teach me the "strategy" portion of the game and I would always just declare war. "F*ck them!!" I'd say as I flew into battle determined to take over the globe. I usually won, but that was back when the game's AI wasn't so smart and I could wipe out a culture before they got a good foothold in society. Now, not thinking before I fight can get me extinct. It doesn't mean that I don't still try it though. I'm a megalomanic, what can I say. Omnipotence! Gotta get me some of that.

There's been so many great and not so great changes to the game over the years, but it has always been an immersive experience. Civ V promises to be all the things that the others were and more. Seems like there's even more "strategy" in the strategy. I'm actually going to have to use my brain instead of brawn this time around. No matter. I look forward to the new challenges. Maybe I can get the BF to join me online so I can kick his booty all up and down the coast. He'll have to get his own copy though because I'm not sharing.

Civilization V



GamerGiirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails